Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Dogwood Spring Table Runner


Okay .... if you're one of the millions snowed in, what better project to work on than something that reminds you spring WILL come?!  Of course, if you're snowed in, you probably can't get to a fabric store, but if you're like me and have a huge, huge stash you might be able to come up with something from that.





I used a pattern created by Marie Seroskie that I picked up awhile ago at my local quilting shop.  Actually I used it for the background and the leaf, branch, and blossoms, but after that I went my own way!  If you'd like this pattern, it's available here.



Except for one of the tan background fabrics, I used batiks and fabrics that looked like they'd been ice dyed.  You don't need very much for the blossoms, leaves, and stems - fat quarters would work well.



The background is pieced in a quilting pattern I can't seem to locate - almost like a bear claw, but with fewer claws.  I used a lite fusible web to attach the pieces, sewed around them with a small zigzag stitch, and then did a little thread sketching to add some texture.





I've been doing a lot of stitch in the ditch on my quilting lately, so I decided to free motion quilt this one.





The pattern has pink scalloped edges and scalloped ends - I went with just regular edges and no extra pink to keep it from getting too frilly for my dining room.  I just bound the edges with seam binding.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment: