Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - St. Patrick's Day Shamrock


I don't usually decorate for St. Patrick's Day - mainly because it falls at a busy time of year for me.  Spring Break visitors or trips, four March birthdays in the family, changing out winter things for spring and summer, spring training baseball, ... one of my favorite times of the year!  I had an idea for vase decoration, though, so this year our table has a bit of St. Patrick's Day decor.  

This is really quick and easy!  I put ribbon on the back so I could tie it to a vase, but you could also make it a pin or hair clip by putting the appropriate hardware on the backing.  It might be on the big side for those items - you can reduce the pattern size on a copy machine.

Materials:
*green felt - I used green glitter felt for the backing and two shades of green for the middle and top layers
*white felt for the flower
*3 large and 3 small beads - I used cream colored large beads and gold small beads
*1 yard green ribbon (or a pin backing or hair clip if that's what you're making)
*green embroidery floss
*white sewing thread
*patterns found here

1.  Cut one of each pattern piece from felt.  Sew the ribbon or backing hardware to the right side of the backing piece.


2.  Sew the top layer to the middle layer with a running stitch and three strands of embroidery floss.


3.  Attach the flower by sewing on the beads - bring the needle up through all layers of felt, slip on the large bead and then the small bead, put the needle down through the big bead through all the felt layers.


4.  Sew the backing to the middle layer using a running stitch and three strands of floss.


I tied mine around a small vase and trimmed the ribbon ends a bit.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment