Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - Leaf Motif Free Motion Quilting


Last year I decided that I was going to branch out from my usual random curly free motion quilting and build up my repertoire - I managed to get proficient at one more wave type, but that was it.  So the other day when I found SewCalGal's Free Motion Quilting Challenge, I thought hmmmm.  This could be the push I need.  So far, so good!  I watched Frances Moore's video on sewing a leaf pattern, worked on some scrap fabric, and was ready to go.


So I decided the best piece to continue practicing a new stitch on is a placemat.  And it just so happens that one of our cats needs a new mat for her food!  I found a scrap piece of fabric in my stash that was about 14 by 18 inches, layered it with a piece of quilt batting in the middle (you could also use fusible felt) and quilted it in the leaf pattern.  This fabric is a little busy, so it's hard to see the leaves!


I bound it with bias tape .... (see this past post for making your own)




... and Raven had a new place mat!  If you're new to free motion quilting, check out this past post.


February's quilting challenge definitely looks challenging ....


Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment